Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Decisions...

I was talking to my mom on Sunday about the graduate program I told you about a few days ago. I told her I just wasn't sure about all the work I'm going to need to do just to get in (I'm going to have to take the GRE...blek). Is my Masters in Special Education really what I want to do?

She told me about this radio program she had listened to about making decisions. When you have a decision to make and you're not sure what to do, put the decision into three categories: 10 minutes, 10 months and 10 years. Then ask yourself how you're going to feel about it after those time frames.

Well, I thought about it and decided that...
  • In ten minutes I would probably still wonder if I wanted to do it.
  • In ten months if I didn't do it I would probably be kicking myself for missing the opportunity but if I did do it I would almost be finished.
  • In 10 years the hard work would be a thing of the distant past and I'd have my Masters.
So, my decision is made. I'm going to sit this one out. Just kidding, I'm going for it. Thanks Mom.

For some funnies here's Kita looking like she could be in Star Wars.




7 comments:

Natalie said...

Good for you. I have never regretted getting my masters. And you're right- all that work seems like a distant memory and maybe not as hard as it was when I was doing it.

Also, I am so so SO glad I did it before having a baby. Just something to think about.

off switch said...

good luck! you'll do swimmingly and feel so proud come the 10 months, when your just about done! ;)

Katie said...

I think that is a good decision, and that was good advice your mom gave! I'm so indecisive, I think I'll keep that strategy around :)

DreamTNM said...

I think you made a good decision! That is great advice. I am going to try it too. ;)

Emily said...

That is great advice!! Thanks Mom! Good for you!

The GVZs said...

More education is NEVER a bad thing. Except maybe if you go to stripper school.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo proud of you.Any decision you make is great with me.
mom