Monday, February 9, 2009

Top 10 Monday...

The top 10 books I've ever read:
(Thanks for the suggestion John!)

10. Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I love "The Wizard of Oz" and I loved reading about the Wicked Witch of the West!


9. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. This character was extremely messed up but I loved her none the less.

8. The Thread That Runs so True by Jesse Stuart. John's grandma gave me this book. I think any teacher should read it. It's very inspiring!

7. The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. After reading this book I started eating more natural snacks and drinking more red wine.


6. Tao Te Ching, from the teachings of Lao Tsu.

5. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I unlike a lot of people, wasn't required to read this in high school so I read it ten years after high school.

4. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I read this when I was a kid. My mom gave it to me.

3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, another book given to me by my mom. Most of it we read together.

2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I couldn't put the book down until I had finished it. I finished reading it in Natchez, Mississippi, when I was on a trip with Mom and Jen in the summer of 2003.

1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I read it when I was in high school and again as an adult. I know I'll be reading it a few mores times...


I'm currently reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Maybe this book will knock one of the other books off of the list...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list - there are a few that I have not read - so I guess I have some new books to put on my list - My favorite book of all time is also To Kill a Mockingbird - I love this book so much I wanted to name Eliza Harper but Steve vetoed that choice. Here is a suggestion for next week - Books or movies that most people loved but you HATED
-JTS

The GVZs said...

If you liked She's Come Undone, try Middlesex. As far as other contemporary fiction goes, I really liked The Time Traveler's Wife. I just finished Geek Love. It was so f'ed up in a really awesome way....

Anonymous said...

I was a fan of She's Come Undone, but I thought I Know This Much Is True was a better Wally Lamb book. Maybe it could be #11 on your list. I also totally agree with your #1.
-Natalie

Maryellen said...

After I finish my book and the one after that, I'm going to take suggestions for my next one...